6 February 2011

Lunchtime omelette

I have just tweeted (@JennyEatwell) about my lunchtime omelette and how luscious it was.

I was contemplating lunchtime and knew that hubby would be taking care of the leftover Cornish Pasty, son would be taking care of the leftover Jamaican Beef Patty, which left me to get creative.

I knew we'd got some chestnut mushrooms which I no longer have any idea why I bought them, so they needed a home to go to.

Now mushrooms at lunchtime immediately brings the idea of an omelette to the fore, which then reminded me of the salad bag that we started last night for the Mango Salad and which still had some left.  Being a bag of mixed leaves, rocket, spinach, watercress and red chard, it was suitable for cooking as well as salad.  Finish it off with a flourish of grated cheddar and Bob's your uncle.  Lunch!

I apologise, however, for the lack of photographs.  I ate it too quickly.  *blush*  So here, for @madamding, is the recipe. :)

MUSHROOM, MIXED LEAF & CHEESE OMELETTE  (feeds 1-2)

Ingredients :

2 eggs
knob of butter, or splash of olive oil
3 chestnut mushrooms, sliced
a big handful of the mixed leaves (rocket, spinach, watercress & red chard)
a handful of grated cheddar
sea salt & freshly ground pepper

Method :

1.  Place the butter or olive oil (whichever you're using) in a frying pan and put on a medium heat until the butter is bubbling or the oil is warmed through.

2.  Add the mushrooms and saute for 2-3 minutes until softened.

3.  Break the eggs into a cup and whisk lightly with a fork, then add to the mushrooms.  Turn the pan, to ensure the eggs cover the base of the pan evenly.

4.  Add the leaves, spreading them evenly over the mix.

5.  Sprinkle with the cheese and allow to cook for a minute or so.

6.  Tip the pan until you can flip one half over its other half and cook on for long enough until the cheese is obviously melted.

7.  Turn out onto a warmed plate and season with salt & pepper.

Serve.

Can be served with bread and butter to feed 2 people, but I found with the two eggs that it was more than enough on its own for one.  Extra-lovely with a glass of orange juice or a cup of coffee.  :)

.

2 comments:

I love to receive messages from you all, so if you can spare the time, comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...